Tuesday 27 March 2012

Two people come out of a building and into a story


It’s a cold winter evening in Cape Town. A young couple is sitting in front of a fire place covered in blankets and enjoying each other’s company.  Outside the snow is getting heavy and in the news the weather report announces that people should stay inside as they cannot drive in the snow. Flights are cancelled and trains are delayed.

John who had gotten up to make coffee walks back into the lounge holding the two coffee mugs in his hands stand by the door starring at his beautiful girlfriend with a big smile and says “what a beautiful way to spend the day with you my love… with a smile in her eyes and her heart pounding with joy and love she looks up and calls invites him to sit next to her.  John with no hesitation hands her the coffee and sits right next to her. Lisa holds his hands and looks him in the eye and smiles, still looking him in the eye she whispers in his ear and says” its hard for me when you are away on business for two months but I married a successful man and I have to understand”, John interrupts her but she continues “John I love you with all my heart and I am grateful for having you in my life, don’t know what I would ever do without you”.
John moves his eyes away from hers and tells her to drink her coffee before it gets cold. He changes the topic and he gets up to change the channel on TV. His phone rings and he go the other room to answer it, whispering on the phone he says Linda I can’t talk now I’m in a meeting call me later but the person on the other line doesn’t stop talking and John starts shouting “I can’t talk right now”, Lisa enter the room asking who is that my love and quickly John puts away the phone and kisses her.
An hour later John makes an excuse to leave the house because he is needed in Johannesburg at work  because of a crisis and he is going to the airport to see if he cannot make a plan to get there this evening and Lisa insists on driving him to the airport and he agrees.  After he’s packed his small luggage he puts his coat on and walks towards Lisa who was standing  opposite the bed he kneels down and puts his head on her tummy and says “hey son I cannot wait till you get, I have been waiting  for you but please be nice to mommy till I come back. We are going to have so much fun together” he kisses the pregnant belly and gets up to kiss Lisa. They take the luggage and walk towards the door. Down the hallway into the lobby they are walking hand in hand, they get to the entrance of the building and outside the door. John holds Lisa close to his chest and kisses her and rubs her belly again as they walk towards the parking a Black range rover opened and a woman walked out with tears and calls his name. To his shock he knew who she was and asked what she was doing there.  Linda was crying already and said “I asked Michael where you were and he told me, so is this what you do when you are working?” when he tried to interrupt her she did not want to hear it and Lisa asked “John what’s going on? Who is this” and Linda replied “I’m his wife and I came to tell him that I finally am pregnant with the baby boy he has always wanted but I’m sure he doesn’t need us anymore”.
John was quite and didn’t know what to do and the two women were fighting on the side. Thinking to himself about the boy he’s always wanted and how he had messed things up and he walks towards the women to break then up, he touches Linda on her shoulders and with anger she slaps him across the faces and runs up the road but she didn’t look before she crossed and got hit by a car pulling out the parking lot. The sky turned dark for John and it started snowing hard.  John’s dream had become his nightmare……..






No comments:

Post a Comment